Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Welcome to CultivatED Marketer …
In this fifth episode of CultivatED Marketer, hosts Brent Bowen and Matt Tidwell, PhD, chat with Ben Heisler. Ben is the newly minted host and analyst for Sports Illustrated’s gambling and fantasy sports sections. He most recently was on the other side of microphone as the host and executive producer of the Awful Announcing Podcast. His career has spanned various media including online, radio and TV. We discuss research through informational interviews and job transition.
CultivatED Marketer Ep. 5 — Ben Heisler Show Notes
Brent and Matt talk with Ben Heisler, from Sports Illustrated gambling & fantasy sports sections.
- Ben discusses his new job as host, analyst, writer and editor for two vertical sections in Sports Illustrated — fantasy sports and sports betting (gambling). It’s a fascinating time to be in the industry, especially as the conversations about legalizing gambling are taking place around the world.
- Considering how difficult it can be to land a job during the best of times, Matt asks Ben to share advice on getting a new gig during a global pandemic. Ben shares that he was laid off prior to the pandemic and believes there was some good luck at play … but he took advantage of the “informational interview” during his months of job searching.
- The group discusses the value of informational interviews and how jobseekers should approach the interview in a way that’s mutually beneficial for everyone involved.
- Ben remembers how former college classmates would “box themselves in” by focusing only on sports broadcasting. He believes in the importance of broadening your horizons by learning from others, and being a good writer. He asserts that knowing how to write will help you in any area of life.
- When it comes to specialization vs. versatility, Ben says it’s possible to do both.
- Matt relates it to what he sees with his own students — trying to find your path and being versatile, but learning specialized skills that can be valuable across many industries.
- Ben shares a bit about his experiences as the host of the Awful Announcing podcast. He got to interview famous sports broadcasters such as Joe Buck and Ian Eagle. One of his favorite questions to ask: When did you find your voice?
- The group discusses guests Ben’s had on the podcast and the unique stories they’ve shared.
- As the show comes to a close, what are Ben’s final pieces of advice? Though he says it’s cliché, “treat people well.” Sending thank-you notes and showing you’re easy to work with can go a long way.
#ICYMI — Meetups discussed with previous guest Angie Pastorek
Free Monthly Workplace Communication Link and Learns: https://edwardscampus.ku.edu/link-and-learns
Graduate Certificate and Master’s Degree in Organizational Communication: https://edwardscampus.ku.edu/communication
Upcoming CultivatED Marketer Guests
- Mike Swenson — A veteran communication professional, Mike has enjoyed a multifaceted career as a broadcast journalist, a governor’s press secretary, and founder and leader of a successful public relations firm that has produced ground-breaking work. His next act includes some voice and on-camera acting work. We’ll chat the evolution of marketing communications and the skills needed to advance in the industry.