Welcome to CultivatED Marketer …
In this sixth episode of CultivatED Marketer, hosts Brent Bowen and Matt Tidwell, PhD, chat with Mike Swenson. A veteran communication professional, Mike has enjoyed a multifaceted career as a broadcast journalist, a governor’s press secretary, and founder and leader of a successful public relations firm that has produced ground-breaking work. His next act includes some voice and on-camera acting work. We’ll chat the evolution of marketing communications and the skills needed to advance in the industry.
CultivatED Marketer Ep. 6 (Part 1) — Mike Swenson
Brent and Matt talk with Mike Swenson, veteran communication professional. Mike has enjoyed a storied career as a broadcast journalist, press secretary to a Governor, and founder and leader of a successful public relations firm that produced ground-breaking work. His next act includes some voice and on-camera acting work.
- Mike shares about his “retirement” from working at Crossroads, but has started his own consulting business … so he sees it more as “repackaging” his talents and brand, rather than retiring. The group comments on Mike’s radio voice. Anyone out there looking for a new voice?
- Matt brings the group’s attention to the recent topic of brands taking stands, which Mike is familiar with from his previous work in cause marketing. He asks Mike about his nationally-known project, Lee National Denim Day.
- “What better public relations is there than to have our corporate clients partner with a non-profit and give back?” Mike believes investing in a community is the best thing a client can do .. which can help in the future so they have a “savings account” when things go wrong.
- As “Casual Friday” was taking hold in the mid-1990s, women were having a harder time dressing casually without being able to wear jeans. Lee Jeans wanted to convince companies it was okay to wear jeans in the workplace. At the same time, they wanted to support breast cancer, which was more stigmatized in 1990s society than it is today.
- In the end, Mike’s firm came up with a campaign that became Lee National Denim Day. He tells the story of how the program migrated along with the cause over the years, which speaks to the depth and longevity of the program.
Upcoming CultivatED Marketer Guests
- Guest — Join us for part two with Mike Swenson shortly.